Our national history
"Real. Strong. women."
Our mission is to enrich the lives of our members through lifetime opportunities for friendship, leadership, learning, and service. Since our founding, over 140 collegiate chapters have been founded having initiated over 230,000 members and with nearly 200 alumnae chapters nationwide.
Alpha Chi Omega was founded on October 15, 1885 at DePauw University in Greencastle, Indiana. It was started by seven music students: Anna Allen Smith, Olive Burnett Clark, Bertha Deniston Cunningham, Amy Dubois Reith, Nellie Gamble Childe, Bessie Grooms Keenan, and Estelle Leonard. Thus, creating the first women's fraternity in a music school.
Our founders' musical background also help lead to our name Alpha Chi Omega. Alpha, the first letter in the Greek alphabet, symbolized it as the first sorority in a music school; Omega, the last letter in the Greek alphabet, symbolized it as likely the last such sorority; with Kai, meaning 'and', standing in between the two, which was later to the Greek letter, Chi.
Our chapter history
"together let us seek the heights"
The Gamma Zeta Chapter of Alpha Chi Omega was chartered at Kansas State University on March 22, 1947. Our chapter began with 17 outstanding women: Virginia Dibbens, Shirley Gibbs, Rosemary Grosdidier, Maxine Kessling, Wanda Knight, Lillian Lacy, Phyllis Landau, Sally Martin, Jane McDonald, Louise Miller, Martha Miller, Marilyn Mills, LaWana Phelps, Betty Porter, Eva Wilmer, Betty Lou Williams, and Delores Wright.
Since our founding, we have grown from 17 members to about 140 members. Alpha Chi Omega, Gamma Zeta was originally located at 615 Fairchild Terrace before moving to our current location, 1835 Todd Road. Our current House Mother, June Wilson, started her 12th year with us this year.
Change Maker Award
National Ritual and Fraternity Appreciation
National Finance Award